Monday 30 June 2014

Creative Expressions - Fun at the Beach

Good morning :-).  It's Monday which means it's time for my last beach creation for Creative Expressions Blog and I have to admit I think I shall miss the nautical/beach stamps.  I never thought that I could get so creative with some stamps and sand lol.  Today I have done a well worn chipboard frame that I found in my stash, to hold a photo of my kids having fun on the beach 7 years ago.  Next month I am playing with the awesome Dina Wakely masks and Cosmic Shimmer Sparkle Texture Paste, no more sand but lots more sparkle lol.  As always I shall highlight the products from Creative Expressions in red as I go through the step by step :-)
I would like to enter my creation into the following challenges -
Crafty Catz Challenge Blog - Anything Goes
Crazy 4 Challenges - Summer/Winter (UK so summer)
Pile It On Challenge Blog - Summer Fun
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
Ruby's Rainbow Challenge Blog - Stamping

I really love this picture of the kids with their nets fully clothes in a 
sea pool on the beach, my kids are now 15 and 17 and
when I put this on the fireplace downstairs all I go was a Oh No Mummmmmmm!!!

To give the frame as a gift you can put decorated patterned paper inside
instead, this chipboard frame which I initially took apart ages ago, 
and then put back together for this, has a space at the top that you can slide
your picture in.



I really do love the slight sparkle on the clothes, sand castle, kites and buckets
from mixing Distress Markers with Cosmic Shimmer Watercolours.








And now for the step by step ...............................

To start with I measured some Creative Expressions Teresa Collins Patterned
Paper for the centre (yep I forgot to take it out before the first lot of paint went on lol).
From then on I covered the centre with some paper, I painted some Cosmic Shimmer
Matt Chalk Paint Warm White over the frame.

Now I wanted a slight shimmer so I mixed some of the white with Cosmic
Shimmer Paint Sky and added it to the top of the frame.

There wasn't much shimmer as I added alot of the matt white so I used a sponge
and dapped on the sky on top of the already painted frame, this really
gave it a gorgeous sparkle and a nice sky look.

I used some Eco Green Paint Sand for the bottom half, if I ever
have paint left over I grab a piece of scrap cardstock and paint the remainder on
their just in case I need some spare card for wording etc later on.  On this occasion I
didn't use it :-).

I did the same effect with the sky using Cosmic Shimmer Paint Pearl.

I then added some Cosmic Shimmer glue randomly over the bottom half
and patted some sand all over and left it for an hour to dry then empty off,
(it only takes around 5 minutes, but I like to leave it so it's really stuck on).

I stamped with Archival jet black on watercolour paper the images from
Creative Expressions Single Stamp Set Sandcastle in The Sun and Kite Dreams,
I also stamped some of the Beach Bucket Bliss and Treasure Seeker for the
bucket and spade.

To start with I always lay down a base colour so I can see roughly how
everything will look, this way I can change now rather then after doing the whole
thing, hence why I always stamp more then I need like above lol.

To get the sparkle I always lay down my matt colour from the Distress Marker
and the Cosmic Shimmer Watercolour on a stamp block that I now only use
for water colouring.  I used the following colours, so not to keep using each
long name I have abbreviated them down to DI Distress Marker, 
CSA Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Ink and CSW Cosmic Shimmer Watercolour -
Skin - CSA warm delight, cosmic tone, DI victorian velvet, spun sugar
Hair/bag/teddy - CSA umber, dark spice, DI gathered twigs, walnut stain
Girl top - CSW pastel pink, DI picked raspberry, spun sugar
Girl shorts - CSA meadow lime,  CSW golden mint, pastel lime, DI mowed lawn
Boy top - CSA meadow lime, CSW holly lime, DI mowed lawn
Boy shorts - CSW golden scarlet, DI rusty hinge, tea dye
Sand - CSW autumn twist, DI antique linen, wild honey
Bucket/spade/park of kite - CSW frosted scarlet, DI festive berries
Other part of kite - CSW golden scarlet, DI ripe persimmon.

Here they are all done, sorry it's an awful picture.

Another bad picture, I added sand to areas of the image (apart from the kite lol).

Next I used Stampers Anonymous Worn Text with Archival jet black
and stamped along the top of the frame.

I then decided on placement and stamped the birds from Creative Expressions
Single Stamp Set Marina Bay and the grasses from Beach Flora.  I then
glued down my stamped images and added some string to my kite with a black promarker, I 
did first stamp the kites to see the placement of where to add the strings.

When I stamped the beach flora I didn't stamp hard enough because
of the gap underneath it didn't stamp right, I didn't have another frame to start again
so I added some stems and bushed up the tops with a promarker, and it doesn't look too bad lol.

Right I shall be back tomorrow with some more crafty playing and I hope your Monday is a good one.
Happy Crafting :-)
Hugs Kezzy xxxxx

11 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow this is a stunning beach themed frame. Just adore the touches of sand, its so realistic. A precious photo too.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

rachel said...

this is just brilliant Kerry - I love the images and what you have done with them - your kids may have said 'oh mum ' --- but I think your thoughts would have been more along the lines of 'awww - were they ever that young? - bless 'em!!! Big Hugs Rachel x

Elizabeth Hart said...

I LOVE everything about this cool summer project - the frame is just a delight and really looks like the shore with the addes textures. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Pile it On Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

Jingle said...

What a great frame! So many fabulous details. That little hat!!!! SO CUTE! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog for the Anything Goes Challenge!

trisha too said...

Delightful beach-y frame, Kezzy!

Gotta love that sand . . .

:)

carol said...

Fabulous creation,wonderful design
thanks for sharing with CRAFTY CATZ this week x carol

Jennifer's Vintage Paperie said...

That is a great page. I love all of the dimension. Thanks for joining us at Ruby's Rainbow Challenges.

Words and Pictures said...

Another brilliant summery make, Kezzy - all that sandy texture is wonderful (but also why I prefer pebble beaches!!) - and the two children are delightful in the corner - another lovely straw hat. Brilliant frame for that fab photo!
Alison x

NickScrapShack said...

What a super fun idea! Great tutorial too, thanks! You got it look perfect with the photo and those stamps...

Thank you for playing along with our Anything Goes theme at Crafty Catz this week. Good luck!
Nick

Angela said...

Amazing layout! First of all, darling kids! I love how you have put this all together...great details and texture. Thank you for playing along with us at Ruby's Rainbow!

Debbie said...

Beautiful stamping.Such a stunning creation.Thanks for joining in with us over at Ruby's Rainbow.Good luck.Hugs Debbie x