Friday 27 June 2014

Birdy's Christmas Song

Hi ya, I can't believe I haven't shared anything since Monday, I think it's because I have had a lovely week playing and thinking up some tutorials.  Today I have a tag swap I did (Christmas eeeeeek) and all weekend I have bits and bobs to share, also in July we are playing with masks for Creative Expressions and I asked very kindly if I could have the Dina Wakely masks and I got them, so I am planning lots of techniques all the way on a Monday in July!!! How exciting is that, hence all the playing :-).  I also have been playing in my journal as well, so I shall blog that this weekend so busy busy busy having lots of creative fun :-).  So onto my tag, plus of course the normal step by step lol.
I would like to enter my creation into the following challenges :-)
Fashionable Stamping Challenge - Birds and the Bees
Rhedd and Rosie Challenge  - Anything Goes
Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge - Spray it, Ink it, Paint It, Smear It, Emboss It (did most except the emboss it lol)
Crafty Creations Challenge - Things with Wings
Fab 'n' Funky Challenge - Christmas
City Crafter Challenge - Red, White and Blue

I bought the Dina Wakely squiggly bird stamps not long after the came
out in the UK but this is the first time I got to play with them lol.
Of course Christmas wouldn't be my first choice!!!!  SHE (of course a she!) is also
featured in my journal this weekend as well :-)

Lots of pictures, I put a really nice metallic glaze over the entire tag at
the end, it's so strange, you move it one way it sparkles, move it another and it
looks matt, love it.  Also can you see all the texture?  Of course I couldn't help but
really lay on some depth for my tag swap :-)






Of course I had my camera out during the process so here goes .....................

I used some Golden gel medium and added some angel paper (think that's what's it's called).

Then I added a few Christmas trees from Dylusions Oh Christmas Tree stencil with
some Paperartsy Grunge Paste.  Oooops think I added gesso as well before that lol.

Now you only get the finished bit on this process, what a palava, I really need
to practise on my spraying paints, I think I mix them too thickly as I have managed
to block 5 spray bottles trying to spray this, 2 of which are still blocked 
(I will get them unblocked at some point but I was at the point of sending them out the
craft room window by the time I had finishing spraying lol).
I mixed Paperartsy Fresco paint Blood Orange and Bora Bora,
I kept spraying, drying, spraying, drying, oh and some dripping (you get the gist lol) until I had
just the right look (oh and the fact I couldn't stand unblocking the spray bottle again lol).
It was worth it though, any ideas on the mix ratio of paint to water for spraying?
any answers really appreciated.

Now I had won these Dr Ph Martin's Bombay India Ink last year from a stamping magazine
 and only just starting to appreciate what they can do.  
The colour Magenta is so vivid, it really is gorgeous.
I added some to the top and let the ink drip down.

Next I added some stencilling, I used Dylusions Chequered Dots with Fresco Snowflake
first then nudged the stencil and used bora bora and blood orange in different places.

I stamped some designs on tissue paper (used Stampers Anonymous Reindeer Flight, JOFY
19 and 3) and then stamped the Squiggly Birds on smooth Paperartsy card stock with
Archival jet black ink pad.  I didn't use the Santa please stop here sign in the end, was
going to have Miss Birdy holding it in her beak but it wouldn't fit :-).

I stuck down the tissue paper with Glue and Seal and left
until dry, oh and I stamped the birdy's feet as well on tissue.

When it was dry I added some bottle top stamping with Fresco snowflake then
went over the whole tag with Fresco Metallic Glaze.

A few close up pics before birdy :-)


She was coloured with Blood Orange and Bora Bora paint and then
had highlights with Faber Castell Polychromas cobalt green and middle cadmium red.
Then the tag had some Treasure Gold Rose Quartz added over the texture, some promarker
scribbles over some of the tissue lines to make them look like the scribbly bird.
some Tim Holtz seasonal chit chat stickers and I stamped the tweet and chirp on some cardstock and
then covered covered both with some bora bora that I used on my finger so I could rub most of
it off as it is an opaque paint.

Right I better be off, hope you enjoyed Miss Birdy, I shall be back tomorrow with some more play time. Hope you have a lovely evening and a super start to the weekend.
Happy Crafting :-)
Hugs Kezzy xxxxx

14 comments:

rachel said...

I love all of this Kerry and so glad you finally got to use the scribbly birds - love the texture and colours - beautiful xx

Carol Q said...

fab tag Kezzy. lovely stencilly texture.

Ros Crawford said...

This is one fabulous tag! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

Unknown said...

I am in love with this tag. Absolutely fantastic. Love seeing your creative process as well.
Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

Glenda said...

What an amazing tag you have created! I love all the textures and those colors are just wonderful! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

lost coast scrapper said...

Amazing textures! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Julie Lee said...

Oh, I love those Scribbly birds. At some point I'm going to give in and get that stamp! I love your technique on this tag. Isn't Golden Gel Medium fab to work with? This is a lovely tag with great texture! I wish I could think ahead to Christmas: I always leave it way too late and find I have no cards to send! xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What a terrific tag, Kerry - so much texture and delicious layering... and the scribbly birds always delight me!
Alison xx

Sandra Wright. said...

What a stunning Tag, just love the textured background, love the colour palette too...gorgeous, a great entry for our challenge over at Rhedd & Rosies...x

Unknown said...

Simply stunning, thanks for sharing the technique, I was given some of that angel hair and not had a clue what to do with it! Many thanks for joining the Rhedd and Rosie’s challenge and good luck!!! Melissa (DT)

Gloria Stengel said...

I love your amazing background technique! Wowza! Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

creative lady said...

Nice tag and love the textures and the colors. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful tag! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

Unknown said...

Beautiful tag, perfect for our 'Things with wings' challenge at Crafty Creations Challenges. Love this texture. Thank you for joining us and please come back tomorrow for a brand new challenge!
Hugs,
Anna xxx